The internet is never a safe place. Every data you send, every click you do, and every site you visit are all monitored by someone, with the government not an exception. Let alone emails, where most hackers like to hunt for prey and use this information at their own desire.
When it comes to email security, having end-to-end encryption is essential to prevent the data you sent from being intercepted while it travels to intermediary networks. However, it is a hard task for some email providers to convince the other side to use the same encryption as well. It’s also a garden for data leaks because pending emails remain in a service waiting to be collected. If you still use email as a means of communicating with someone or just send out stuff, then you have come to the right place. Listed below are our top five picks of the best email providers that are built with security in mind. Let’s have a look at them.
- ProtonMail is no doubt the most secure email provider to date. It offers users various settings that they can tailor around to get the most secure email experience as possible. It also has a built-in security feature that prevents your email from being stolen from scammers and prying eyes of the government.
- End-to-end encryption
- It’s an open source email service
- Has the ability to self-destruct emails
- Can send encrypted emails to users that use different email providers
- Both available for iOS and Android
- Can send attachments up to 25MB
- ProtonMail servers are located in Switzerland
- Free without ads.
- Optional plan with additional features starting from $4 a month/$75 year.
- Hushmail is also another email provider that has end-to-end encryption to secure your data that even Hushmail itself can’t read what’s inside your email. Hushmail lets you send email to anyone even those that are not using the platform. It also has a web version that you can easily access on whatever preferred browser you use if emailing via apps is not your thing. Hushmail also features a friendly user interface that is suitable for anyone that’s new on the platform.
- Supports both IMAP and POP
- Free 10GB of email storage
- Has a spam filter for a more organized email inbox
- Auto-response feature whenever you’re away
- Available for desktop, iOS, and Android
- Let’s you set up and email signature
- Let’s you attach up to 50MB per email
- Hushmail servers are located in Canada
- Free trial (14 days)
- Premium plan $49.98 a year
- Runbox is one of the most overlooked email service provider ever. What people didn’t know is that Runbox has a top-notch email encryption feature, as well as various security tools to keep your data secure while keeping cybercriminals at bay. Whenever you send an email via Runbox, it is sent through an encrypted connection. Everything you send and receive is all encrypted, even your email address for that matter. The best part? Runbox offers two-step verification as well as no external tracking cookies as well to keep scammers away from your inbox.
- Let’s you create multiple aliases with different email addresses in a single account
- Provides secure and robust privacy protection
- Built-in spam and virus scanner
- Let’s you send attachments up to 100MB in size
- Has a 10GB email storage inbox
- Can process large amounts of data easily
- Runbox servers are located in Norway
- $19.95 yearly
- $49.95 yearly with email and
- Launched in November 2013 by the ContactOffice Group, Mailfence offers end-to-end encryption as well to protect your email and whatever data you send. Unlike other email providers, Mailfence gives users the freedom to communicate with anyone without worrying about their privacy.
- Completely Ad-Free
- Blocks spam emails
- Contacts can be imported from Gmail, Outlook, vCard, etc.
- Has a built-in calendar
- Let’s users to sign up with their preferred email address (Gmail, Outlook, etc)
- Features digitally signed email addresses to prove authorship
- Mailfence servers are located in Belgium
- Free without ADS
- Entry: 2,50€/month
- Pro: 7,50€/month
- Posteo is an email provider that provides great security, privacy, and sustainability. When you use Posteo, you will be provided with an encrypted email account for that extra privacy protection. They also offer built-in calendars and address books as well. The best part? Just like Mailfence, Posteo has no ads so you can email to your heart’s content without being interrupted.
- Has a two-factor authentication
- Easy signups
- Built-in synchronizable calendar and address book
- Various payment methods (Cash, Bank transfer, PayPal)
- Can send up to 50MB of files
- Offers free 2GB of email storage
- Posteo servers are located in Germany
- 1 EUR (monthly)
- 0.25 EUR (additional GB of storage per month)
- Among the five listed above, Hushmail wins the throne of the most secure email provider. Thanks to its versatility, it’s available on whatever device you’re using be it Windows PC, iOS, or Android. Not to mention, it’s myriads of features as well. But we are not saying that the rest are bad. Whatever email service provider you use, as long as you’re comfortable using it and your data is secure, then there isn’t a problem with that. Say goodbye to Gmail, Outlook, Yahoo, and others and say hello to a safer email experience by using these email providers listed above. Trust us; your data will thank you later.